Fire safety while being at home due to the lockdown and during Ramadan.
While most of us are spending more time at home than previously, therefore it is more important to make sure your home is as safe as possible. By taking just a few simple precautions you can greatly reduce the risks for yourself and your family.
Also, it is the month of Ramadan and during Ramadan it is common for the Muslim families to have one meal just before sunrise and another directly after sunset meaning that cooking often takes place before and after sunrise, so kitchen safety is really important.
By taking just a few simple precautions you can greatly reduce the risks for yourself and your family.
To avoid a fire, please follow these safety tips:
- Take extra care when cooking with oil, as it easily sets alight.
- If deep fat frying, only one third of a pan is filled with oil prior to frying food
- If a pan or wok is smoking excessively, turn off the heat
- Never throw water on a burning pan, cover with a damp tea-towel and turn off the heat
- Be very careful with clothing, i.e make sure head scarves etc do not come into contact with a naked light
- Do not leave cooking unattended
Ensure you have a working smoke alarm on every floor of your home – test them weekly to make sure they work.
Make sure your home is as safe from fire risks as possible, go through the points in the following to-do-list – set by the London Fire Brigade- while looking around your home.
Tick any items you need to consider or carry out. You can download the list here: TO DO LIST – FIRE SAFETY
We hope this advice will help to keep you safe.
Fire Safety – Fun Activity for younger Children:
Print out this blank noisy – click here
1. Colour in Noisy’s:
eyes, mouth, nose, eyebrows, hands, boots
2. Write one of these fire safety messages on Noisy’s sign,
and then colour it in:
• Working smoke alarms save lives!
• Test me every week
• Every home should have a Noisy
3. Carefully cut out all of Noisy’s parts and stick them onto
your Noisy poster.
You may need to ask a grown up to help you with this.
4. Put your Noisy poster on a wall where everyone can see it!
Your poster will help the London Fire Brigade make sure
every home has a working smoke alarm.
Source: London Fire Brigade
Coronavirus (COVID-19): what you need to do
- Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)
- If you go out, stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people at all times
- Wash your hands as soon as you get home
Do not meet others, even friends or family. Anyone can spread the virus.