COULD YOU FOSTER?
Like any job fostering requires certain skills and qualities:
Foster carer checklist:
- Listening Skills: Do you hear and understand what children and adults are saying to you
- Optimism: Are you able to look on the bright side when times get tough and difficult.
- Confidence: Can you handle difficult situations without feeling out of your depth.
- Patience: Can you persevere even when you don’t seem to be getting immediate results.
- Stability: Do you have a welcoming home and could you make children feel safe and secure
- Team Player: Can you share responsibility and work together with others, and ask for help and support when you need it?
- Observational Skills: Can you see what is really going on beneath the surface
- Energetic: Are you full of energy and life?
- Communication Skills: Do you get on well talking with children? can you speak on behalf of children and advocate for them?
- Sense of humour: Do you have a good sense of humour? can you see the funny side of life?
- Sympathy: Are you able to sympathise with children?
Additionally a few practical requirements:
- Spare bedroom in rented or owned property.
- At least one carer at home full time or with reduced commitments.
- Commitment to attend training and support groups.
- Driving licence, preferred but not essential.